Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Same Fibers, Different Cities

Whenever I visit a different city, I have this urge to seek out yarn shops. I certainly don't need to add to my stash. And thanks to my most recent yard-sale find, I don't even need tools.


While riding Caltrain up to Milbrae (to catch BART to get to SFO to get on a plane to go to New York), I had a realization and shared it with Tom:

I haven't even been to knitting stores in San Francisco.

He chuckled and shook his head at me.

And yet, he still gave in to my whims.


He's a keeper.

The first store I visited was The Argyle Yarn Shop in Park Slope. It was lovely.


I purchased one skein of Quince&Co. Sparrow in colourway Port. This will be added to my Leafy Shawl.


Of course, Purl Soho was a must-see.


I'll admit, I was very giddy when we got off the subway in Soho. And after walking into the shop, my breath was taken away. 


It is, no doubt, aesthetically pleasing. 

The colours are brilliant, it is a very large store with high ceilings, and they have all kinds of textiles. If I lived in Soho, had lots of money, and was experienced in things other than knitting, it would definitely be a one-stop shop for all of my artsy needs. 

A funny thing I was reminded of, though, while in New York: most yarn stores are the same. There are very few fibers at Purl Soho that I can't find at Green Planet in Campbell. 



I think that's why I make such an event out of my yarn travels. I like the idea of visiting a place that is familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment